thread top ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 GPU "Repair"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Nick, this will work well only with intel HD??

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Noguinfor View Post
      Nick, this will work well only with intel HD??
      unless you wanna do video editing with a 2011 machine then yeah it works fine as facebook and youtube machine. the battery lasts waaaay longer if you remove the resistor. I am using that modded one as tool in the shop when i need to work on other mac's software and crap. so it does its job fine. only thing is that you lose brighnteness control and external video port

      Comment


      • #18
        in your picture where is connect wire high ? i will try

        Comment


        • #19
          this is the mod i used
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Nick View Post
            this is the mod i used
            I’m thinking of trying this out on some 256mb boards I have laying around - have a couple of questions.

            What is the brightness level stuck at, since it can’t be adjusted?
            Does it work with all configurations (256mb - 1Gb)?
            Remove just U9270 or all 5 resistors/cap as well?
            Fuse between R9655 and R9250 is just added protection?
            Otherwise it’s just plug and play?

            Thanks for sharing!

            Comment


            • #21
              brightness stuck at max since you are overriding the pwm injecting constant voltage so frequency is basicaly infinite.
              works with all configurations
              only the ic. remember to do the yellow jumpers on the ic pads
              just plug n play. no software mods. you will lose external display.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Nick View Post
                brightness stuck at max since you are overriding the pwm injecting constant voltage so frequency is basicaly infinite.
                works with all configurations
                only the ic. remember to do the yellow jumpers on the ic pads
                just plug n play. no software mods. you will lose external display.
                Tested this out for fun - works well and can be done with just the diagram provided.
                Took way too long. Would probably only do again if someone specifically requested.

                Comment


                • #23
                  very nice soldering!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    well, what if we could use Keyboard LED PWM to control the Display Brightness? unfortunately, do not have any device to experiment on, but if we could route and adjust this signal to LVDS Led driver, it could be a sollution. Of course, 12 -jumper mod probably takes to much time to make sense. (i guess the process could be optimized by making a trapharet with the holes and wiring diagram, but still)

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Inwerp View Post
                      well, what if we could use Keyboard LED PWM to control the Display Brightness? unfortunately, do not have any device to experiment on, but if we could route and adjust this signal to LVDS Led driver, it could be a sollution. Of course, 12 -jumper mod probably takes to much time to make sense. (i guess the process could be optimized by making a trapharet with the holes and wiring diagram, but still)


                      I was thinking the same thing about the backlight and some kind of pre-fab piece that can be soldered on. The keyboard backlight doesn’t come on until the OS is loaded though. There is a "solution" from the same guy that recently did a write up on this mod. Requires hardware and software though. Haven't read through it all, but I assume if it could just be wired off the keyboard they would have done
                      that.. https://computeco.de/DyingLight.html...ign=DyingLight

                      Maybe dukefawks has a suggestion to piggyback off the keyboard backlight for control?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by ThisIsWes:AASP View Post



                        I was thinking the same thing about the backlight and some kind of pre-fab piece that can be soldered on. The keyboard backlight doesn’t come on until the OS is loaded though. There is a "solution" from the same guy that recently did a write up on this mod. Requires hardware and software though. Haven't read through it all, but I assume if it could just be wired off the keyboard they would have done
                        that.. https://computeco.de/DyingLight.html...ign=DyingLight

                        Maybe dukefawks has a suggestion to piggyback off the keyboard backlight for control?
                        i"m pretty sure there's a backlight parameter in NVRAM so i guess it is possible to make it always-on. But i guess you're right, KB LED PWM looks quite different and seems incompatible with Backlight control.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          A related but slightly off-topic question - not worthy of a new thread though;
                          When the video port is lost by this repair, is that the standard video out, or is it the full Thunderbolt functionality (e.g. I was wondering if an eGPU could still be used with the appropriate hacks?)
                          Also, the new ATI chips - do they still have the same internal design flaws; did they ever release a 'good' batch? (I know that it is a combo of Apple's 'cooling' design as well as the chip

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by jommoner View Post
                            A related but slightly off-topic question - not worthy of a new thread though;
                            When the video port is lost by this repair, is that the standard video out, or is it the full Thunderbolt functionality (e.g. I was wondering if an eGPU could still be used with the appropriate hacks?)
                            Also, the new ATI chips - do they still have the same internal design flaws; did they ever release a 'good' batch? (I know that it is a combo of Apple's 'cooling' design as well as the chip
                            thunderbolt 3 functionality on TB1 and egpu drivers is something you should excpect from the linux community... not Apple. TB1 should be fine but i never really seen any reasonable use case besides UHD monitor

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Apple now only supports TB3 for eGPUs, having depracated past support; however I know TB1 can be used with a patch - I was wondering how the 'Thunderbolt' port itself was affected by disabling the discrete GPU (from a hardware perspective). I guess as long as the 13" unibody is supported, there may be a possibility. I myself will need to move from Mac to 'PC' once my MBP mid-2012 17" is no longer supported properly :/

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by jommoner View Post
                                Apple now only supports TB3 for eGPUs, having depracated past support; however I know TB1 can be used with a patch - I was wondering how the 'Thunderbolt' port itself was affected by disabling the discrete GPU (from a hardware perspective). I guess as long as the 13" unibody is supported, there may be a possibility. I myself will need to move from Mac to 'PC' once my MBP mid-2012 17" is no longer supported properly :/

                                I can confirm that the thunderbolt port functions for data. Tried to get a Luna Display to connect but the dongle wasn’t even recognized.

                                Wasn’t aware there is a 2012 17”.

                                Comment

                                thread bottom ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X